invasive species

Discuss Trout Unlimited projects, meetings or other environmental and cold water issues here!
Post Reply
Troutman
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

invasive species

Post by Troutman » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:02 pm

Was known as Troutman1

Fishybig
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:43 am

Re: invasive species

Post by Fishybig » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:01 pm

Thx fer posting this....its all over ever news site...it could in time become a real problem...most knowledgeable ppl I've spoken to say that once there established, eradication is near impossible.....the true threat comes from them moving into ponds and lakes where they can easily completely take over.....I think this will be an issue forever

martalus
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Re: invasive species

Post by martalus » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:10 am

For better or worse, I see that lots of people like to catch these as a sport fish now and don't kill them like they are supposed to. People in the DC to Philly corridor and beyond specifically target these fish for recreation purposes and seem pleased that they are established.

Troutman
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: invasive species

Post by Troutman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:47 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:10 am
For better or worse, I see that lots of people like to catch these as a sport fish now and don't kill them like they are supposed to. People in the DC to Philly corridor and beyond specifically target these fish for recreation purposes and seem pleased that they are established.
Im gonna have to make a special trip down in the south jersey area code to try to see what the hype is about these fish :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

martalus
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Re: invasive species

Post by martalus » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:12 pm

Well, just make sure to harvest any you catch. From what I can gather, Vietnamese folks here in the DC area do love to catch and eat them and consider them a delicacy. It seems that some of our native born anglers prefer to return them to the water as a game fish.

Fishybig
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:43 am

Re: invasive species

Post by Fishybig » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:51 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:12 pm
Well, just make sure to harvest any you catch. From what I can gather, Vietnamese folks here in the DC area do love to catch and eat them and consider them a delicacy. It seems that some of our native born anglers prefer to return them to the water as a game fish.
The same thing happens with the flatheads that have been caught upwards of 30lbs...just a matter of time before they move up to the deeper holes of the main stem of the D

Troutman
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: invasive species

Post by Troutman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:23 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:12 pm
Well, just make sure to harvest any you catch. From what I can gather, Vietnamese folks here in the DC area do love to catch and eat them and consider them a delicacy. It seems that some of our native born anglers prefer to return them to the water as a game fish.
Most likely when I make that trip & if I catch any. I will give them to my neighbors that happen to be Vietnamese ;) . It will be quite a surprise to them to maybe eat some native fish from their home country .... I myself return everything to the water. Unless of course they dont survive for some reason :cry: . Then they get it.
Was known as Troutman1

martalus
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Re: invasive species

Post by martalus » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:37 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:51 pm
martalus wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:12 pm
Well, just make sure to harvest any you catch. From what I can gather, Vietnamese folks here in the DC area do love to catch and eat them and consider them a delicacy. It seems that some of our native born anglers prefer to return them to the water as a game fish.
The same thing happens with the flatheads that have been caught upwards of 30lbs...just a matter of time before they move up to the deeper holes of the main stem of the D

Flatheads and Bluecatfish are screwing up gamefishing for another invasive, but long ago naturalized game species in the Potomac watershed-the Smallmouth bass.

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 737
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: invasive species

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:54 am

I've got news for that guide on the upper D, snakeheads have been in the big D for well over a decade and are here to stay like all of our invasive species over time. I know guys that bowfish for flatheads and snakeheads in the Delaware above where the Musky dumps in and they shoot many each night out. But then again, they (snakeheads and flatheads) will be competing mostly with other non-natives in that river. What I worry about are the few native fish we do still have around and how these species will be impacted by foreign invasives we keep releasing where they don't belong.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Post Reply