Catfishing from the Bank

Warm water, salt water and more. Talk about it here!
Twism86

Catfishing from the Bank

Post by Twism86 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:23 pm

I’m looking to get into some catfish. No preference but half decent channels of a few pounds would be nice. Looking to bottom fish somewhere near Somerset county. Any recommendations?
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Vance

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by Vance » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:20 am

Hi, Fish Greenwood Lake. Rent or take your boat or whatever and bottom fish with a piece of hotdog on your hook. We did it this way back in the fifties. Either fish Jersey side or New York side doesn’t matter they are through out the lake and quite large. Vance

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:25 am

Twism86 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:23 pm
I’m looking to get into some catfish. No preference but half decent channels of a few pounds would be nice. Looking to bottom fish somewhere near Somerset county. Any recommendations?
I know there are spots on the Delaware you can chase big cats, but I've never done it myself and can't steer you in the right direction any more than that. We were having a conversation about channel cats on NJ Woods & Water forum just the other day, and we all have seen lots of lakes and ponds with naturally reproducing channels in them. That thread was about whether or not channel cats were reproducing in some lakes and ponds they have been introduced into either by the Division or private stockings, the latter of which may be legal stocking or illegal stocking which is so very commonplace, unfortunately.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:44 pm

Vance wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:20 am
Hi, Fish Greenwood Lake. Rent or take your boat or whatever and bottom fish with a piece of hotdog on your hook. We did it this way back in the fifties. Either fish Jersey side or New York side doesn’t matter they are through out the lake and quite large. Vance
Hotdogs are my bait of choice! I don’t want to deal with nasty chicken liver or live/cut baits.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:30 pm

I have cat fished for many years in Spruce Run reservoir. Worms work fine. Also go at night after a rain and fish the peninsula by Mueller Toyota. Cast, let it sink and wait. They will also eat spinners, rattletraps, pretty much anything but a stinky bait works best. be ready though as I have landed huge hybrid stripers and carp over there as well. Even a few pikes(wrong site sorry)...Also, years ago, one 18 inch female brown by accident. unfortunately it was 95 degrees out, she ate a worm and promptly went belly up after I cut her off when I realized what it was...too bad a nice wild fish. I have foshed the Delaware for them by Bull's Island. there are some big cat's in that river. Flatheads also.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:31 pm

lightenup wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:30 pm
I have cat fished for many years in Spruce Run reservoir. Worms work fine. Also go at night after a rain and fish the peninsula by Mueller Toyota. Cast, let it sink and wait. They will also eat spinners, rattletraps, pretty much anything but a stinky bait works best. be ready though as I have landed huge hybrid stripers and carp over there as well. Even a few pikes(wrong site sorry)...Also, years ago, one 18 inch female brown by accident. unfortunately it was 95 degrees out, she ate a worm and promptly went belly up after I cut her off when I realized what it was...too bad a nice wild fish. I have foshed the Delaware for them by Bull's Island. there are some big cat's in that river. Flatheads also.
and snapping turtles....watch yer fingers