Catfishing from the Bank

Warm water, salt water and more. Talk about it here!
Post Reply
User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Basking Ridge, NJ
Contact:

Catfishing from the Bank

Post by Twism86 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:23 pm

I’m looking to get into some catfish. No preference but half decent channels of a few pounds would be nice. Looking to bottom fish somewhere near Somerset county. Any recommendations?
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Vance
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:56 pm

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by Vance » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:20 am

Hi, Fish Greenwood Lake. Rent or take your boat or whatever and bottom fish with a piece of hotdog on your hook. We did it this way back in the fifties. Either fish Jersey side or New York side doesn’t matter they are through out the lake and quite large. Vance

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 682
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:25 am

Twism86 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:23 pm
I’m looking to get into some catfish. No preference but half decent channels of a few pounds would be nice. Looking to bottom fish somewhere near Somerset county. Any recommendations?
I know there are spots on the Delaware you can chase big cats, but I've never done it myself and can't steer you in the right direction any more than that. We were having a conversation about channel cats on NJ Woods & Water forum just the other day, and we all have seen lots of lakes and ponds with naturally reproducing channels in them. That thread was about whether or not channel cats were reproducing in some lakes and ponds they have been introduced into either by the Division or private stockings, the latter of which may be legal stocking or illegal stocking which is so very commonplace, unfortunately.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Basking Ridge, NJ
Contact:

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by Twism86 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:44 pm

Vance wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:20 am
Hi, Fish Greenwood Lake. Rent or take your boat or whatever and bottom fish with a piece of hotdog on your hook. We did it this way back in the fifties. Either fish Jersey side or New York side doesn’t matter they are through out the lake and quite large. Vance
Hotdogs are my bait of choice! I don’t want to deal with nasty chicken liver or live/cut baits.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by lightenup » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:30 pm

I have cat fished for many years in Spruce Run reservoir. Worms work fine. Also go at night after a rain and fish the peninsula by Mueller Toyota. Cast, let it sink and wait. They will also eat spinners, rattletraps, pretty much anything but a stinky bait works best. be ready though as I have landed huge hybrid stripers and carp over there as well. Even a few pikes(wrong site sorry)...Also, years ago, one 18 inch female brown by accident. unfortunately it was 95 degrees out, she ate a worm and promptly went belly up after I cut her off when I realized what it was...too bad a nice wild fish. I have foshed the Delaware for them by Bull's Island. there are some big cat's in that river. Flatheads also.

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by lightenup » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:31 pm

lightenup wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:30 pm
I have cat fished for many years in Spruce Run reservoir. Worms work fine. Also go at night after a rain and fish the peninsula by Mueller Toyota. Cast, let it sink and wait. They will also eat spinners, rattletraps, pretty much anything but a stinky bait works best. be ready though as I have landed huge hybrid stripers and carp over there as well. Even a few pikes(wrong site sorry)...Also, years ago, one 18 inch female brown by accident. unfortunately it was 95 degrees out, she ate a worm and promptly went belly up after I cut her off when I realized what it was...too bad a nice wild fish. I have foshed the Delaware for them by Bull's Island. there are some big cat's in that river. Flatheads also.
and snapping turtles....watch yer fingers

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Basking Ridge, NJ
Contact:

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by Twism86 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:16 pm

lightenup wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:30 pm
I have cat fished for many years in Spruce Run reservoir. Worms work fine. Also go at night after a rain and fish the peninsula by Mueller Toyota. Cast, let it sink and wait. They will also eat spinners, rattletraps, pretty much anything but a stinky bait works best. be ready though as I have landed huge hybrid stripers and carp over there as well. Even a few pikes(wrong site sorry)...Also, years ago, one 18 inch female brown by accident. unfortunately it was 95 degrees out, she ate a worm and promptly went belly up after I cut her off when I realized what it was...too bad a nice wild fish. I have foshed the Delaware for them by Bull's Island. there are some big cat's in that river. Flatheads also.
That is the area I plan to try. I just want to toss some hot dogs.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

martalus
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by martalus » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:18 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:16 pm
lightenup wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:30 pm
I have cat fished for many years in Spruce Run reservoir. Worms work fine. Also go at night after a rain and fish the peninsula by Mueller Toyota. Cast, let it sink and wait. They will also eat spinners, rattletraps, pretty much anything but a stinky bait works best. be ready though as I have landed huge hybrid stripers and carp over there as well. Even a few pikes(wrong site sorry)...Also, years ago, one 18 inch female brown by accident. unfortunately it was 95 degrees out, she ate a worm and promptly went belly up after I cut her off when I realized what it was...too bad a nice wild fish. I have foshed the Delaware for them by Bull's Island. there are some big cat's in that river. Flatheads also.
That is the area I plan to try. I just want to toss some hot dogs.

I tried hotdogs once and they kept slipping off the hook every time I casted. How do you keep them on the hook? Chicken liver is super effective because of their strong smell, but damn they are messy to handle.

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by lightenup » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:32 pm

martalus wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:18 pm
Twism86 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:16 pm
lightenup wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:30 pm
I have cat fished for many years in Spruce Run reservoir. Worms work fine. Also go at night after a rain and fish the peninsula by Mueller Toyota. Cast, let it sink and wait. They will also eat spinners, rattletraps, pretty much anything but a stinky bait works best. be ready though as I have landed huge hybrid stripers and carp over there as well. Even a few pikes(wrong site sorry)...Also, years ago, one 18 inch female brown by accident. unfortunately it was 95 degrees out, she ate a worm and promptly went belly up after I cut her off when I realized what it was...too bad a nice wild fish. I have foshed the Delaware for them by Bull's Island. there are some big cat's in that river. Flatheads also.
That is the area I plan to try. I just want to toss some hot dogs.

I tried hotdogs once and they kept slipping off the hook every time I casted. How do you keep them on the hook? Chicken liver is super effective because of their strong smell, but damn they are messy to handle.
Put the liver in a piece of woman's stocking and slip it on the hook. The liver won't fly off then...Hot dogs probably the same but I have never used them.
'

joe_panella
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by joe_panella » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:39 pm

I just read all this, I have catfshed spruce run 25 years ago and caught nothing but a half dozen of the biggest snappping turtles I have seen. As far as reproduction, when they drained Verona pond when I was a kid we found one about an inch long in a puddle and my buddy had it for years in his fish tank. Remember you can tell channels by the split tail. I live in smoke rise in kinnelon and was just told they reproduce in lake kinnelon. Now I have to try and convince the powers that be to stock hybrid bass and pike in n the lake.

martalus
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by martalus » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:20 pm

Tom-you just have to make a trip down to the DC area-I can't seem to keep catfish off my hook in both the lower and upper Potomac, in what should be ideal SMB water. Blues, Channels, and Flatties. Down here. They eat every damn thing from night crawlers to crappie jigs to wooly buggers to hotdogs to cut bait to chicken liver to Mepps number 2 spinners.

Troutman
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by Troutman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:33 pm

martalus wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:18 pm
I tried hotdogs once and they kept slipping off the hook every time I casted. How do you keep them on the hook? Chicken liver is super effective because of their strong smell, but damn they are messy to handle.
Gotta stop using those dollar general hot dogs :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Fishybig
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:43 am

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by Fishybig » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:20 am

Troutman wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:33 pm
martalus wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:18 pm
I tried hotdogs once and they kept slipping off the hook every time I casted. How do you keep them on the hook? Chicken liver is super effective because of their strong smell, but damn they are messy to handle.
Gotta stop using those dollar general hot dogs :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chicken livers just need stretchy floss , the same thing you use on clam bellies....as soon as ur done touchin the livers, dip ur hands in the water done....and dont cheap out on the hot dogs...even the best lips and asses er cheap....ball parks.....bait and wait is the name of the game...stick wit the slick!!!

User avatar
lightenup
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by lightenup » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:49 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:39 pm
I just read all this, I have catfshed spruce run 25 years ago and caught nothing but a half dozen of the biggest snappping turtles I have seen. As far as reproduction, when they drained Verona pond when I was a kid we found one about an inch long in a puddle and my buddy had it for years in his fish tank. Remember you can tell channels by the split tail. I live in smoke rise in kinnelon and was just told they reproduce in lake kinnelon. Now I have to try and convince the powers that be to stock hybrid bass and pike in n the lake.
I used to fish there weekly, about 5 years ago until my catfishing partner passed away. He could only catch turtles as well. I caught fish and couldn't catch turtles...It became a point of conversation it got so ridiculous. He would hook something and swear it was fighting like a fish and I would say, Wayne, it's a turtle...sure enough. I would hook a something :D and say it's fighting like a turtle, he would say, Chris, it's a fish...sure enough...

joe_panella
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: Catfishing from the Bank

Post by joe_panella » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:43 pm

I may have caught one other turtle in my life, that night my dad and I caught a half dozen. Huge turtles. They Are kind of freaky when they emerge out of the water when it is dark.

Post Reply